International Institute for Psychic
Investigation
British organization formed in January 1939 by the merger
of the British College of Psychic Science and the International
Institute for Psychical Research (IIPI). The institute was
founded in 1934 by Mrs. Dawson Scott, pupil and associate of
pioneer psychical researcher J. Hewat McKenzie; J. Arthur
Findlay; and Shaw Desmond. The institute had as its aim investigation
of psychic phenomena by the objective methods of
laboratory research. Fraser Harris was appointed as the original
research officer. He was succeeded by Nandor Fodor, who
held the post until the summer of 1938. The IIPR premises at
Harrington Rd., London, SW, were later moved to Walton
House, Walton St., London, SW3.
The institute emphasized the need for experimental work
and secured photographic and recording apparatuses to investigate
and record voice and physical phenomena. The council
consisted of both Spiritualists and non-Spiritualists, ensuring a
balanced approach to the investigation of paranormal phenomena.
The institute published papers on their experiments, including
the following Bulletin I Historic Poltergeists, by Hereward
Carrington; The Saragossa Ghost, by Nandor Fodor; Bulletin
II The Lajos Pap Experiments, by Nandor Fodor; and Bulletin
III Enquiry into the Cloud-Chamber Method of Studying the ‘‘IntraAtomic
Quantity,’’ by G. J. Hopper.
During January 1939 the institute was amalgamated with
the British College of Psychic Science (BCPS) under the name
International Institute for Psychic Investigation (IIPR). The
BCPS transferred many of its workers and its excellent reference
library to the IIPR at the Walton House. Publication of the
college’s valuable journal, Psychic Science, continued under the
auspices of the institute. With the outbreak of war the organization
had a difficult time, however, and collapsed in 1947. The
library and records were dispersed or destroyed by bombing.
Its place was to a large extent filled by the College of Psychic
Science, in London, formed in 1955 from the longestablished
London Spiritualist Alliance, originally founded
in 1884. The College of Psychic Science had similar objectives
to the BCPS and IIPR and at one time or another leading SpiriEncyclopedia
of Occultism & Parapsychology • 5th Ed. International Institute for Psychic Investigation
799
tualists or psychical researchers connected with the earlier organizations
also took part in its activities. The college also
maintains a reference library at its premises in 16 Queensberry
Pl., South Kensington, London, SW7., and arranges for consultations
with mediums, currently carried out under the new
name College of Psychic Studies.
Sources
Edmunds, Simeon. Spiritualism A Critical Survey. London
Aquarian Press, 1966.