Order of New Templars
German occult sect organized between 1894 and 1907 by
Austrian occultist Jörg Lanz von Liebenfels (1874–1954) at
Burg Werfenstein near the river Danube. The Order used the
swastika symbol, advocated master-race ideals, and developed
rituals from appropriation of the Holy ‘‘Grail’’ traditions and
Parsifal. Von Liebenfels published a journal, Ostara. The Order
of New Templars survived for a generation but went underground
after the German invasion of Austria in 1938.
Sources
Webb, James. The Occult Establishment. LaSalle, Ill. Open
Court Publishing, 1976.