Psychic Observer and Chimes (Magazine)
Prominent American Spiritualist magazine founded in 1974
by the merger of Chimes and the Psychic Observer. The Psychic
Observer Corporation was founded in 1937 in Jamestown, New
York, by Ralph and Juliette Pressing. The first issue of the Psychic
Observer appeared in August 1938. In 1957 the Pressings
retired and Agnes F. Reuther became editor. Two years later
Tom O’Neill acquired the periodical, then issued as a tabloid.
In 1960 he was informed by Andrija Puharich, then a young
researcher, that he had discovered several of the more prominent
mediums at Camp Chesterfield engaged in a conspiracy
to conduct fake materialization séances. Puharich presented
the photographic proof, pictures taken with an infrared camera.
O’Neill published the pictures and announced the findings
as a dark day for Spiritualism.
As a result of the exposé, O’Neill almost went bankrupt, as
advertisers loyal to the camp pulled their support from the periodical.
He relocated his publishing enterprise to North Carolina
and for a brief period published under another title.
O’Neill died in 1965 and the Psychic Observer ceased publication.
In 1968 it was purchased by Alice Tindell and moved to
Washington, D.C. It was issued as an open forum magazine, but
in effect it was the periodical of the National Spiritual Science
Center, the church headed by Tindell. It was published by the
ESPress, the church’s publishing concern. Henry Nagoka edited
the new publication.
Chimes began in 1942 under the editorship of Bert Welch
and his wife. It was later purchased by June and Leighton Denton.
Chimes, Inc., the publishing company, also had a book distribution
service and facilitated the Dentons’ healing ministry.
Chimes faithfully served the American Spiritualist community
for a generation until it was discontinued as an independent
publication in 1974.
Psychic Observer and Chimes was discontinued after the July
October 1981 issue.

SHARE
Previous articlePsychic Detective Bureau
Next articlePsychic Force