Societas Rosicruciana in Civitatibus
Foederatis
The Societas Rosicruciana in Civitatibus Foederatis was
founded in Boston in 1878 by Charles E. Meyer (1839–1908)
with a Mason from Pennsylvania. The Mason had headed the
Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia, the British branch of the society
founded in the 1860s by Robert Wentworth Little. Within
a few years the American group had established lodges, called
colleges, across the country. With several others, Meyer traveled
to England and was initiated at the college in Sheffield.
When Sheffield blocked their request for a charter, they turned
to the college in Edinburgh, which issued a charter in 1879.
The next year a second charter was issued for a college in New
York, and the two American colleges jointly founded the Society
Rosicruciana Republicae Americae. Almost immediately,
colleges were chartered for Baltimore and Boston. As did the
English body, the American group limited membership to Masons.
The society remained stable for a generation but experienced
a schism shortly after the turn of the century. At that time
some of its members, led by Sylvester C. Gould and George
Winslow Plummer (1876–1944), formed the Societas Rosicruciana
in America, with membership not limited to Masons.
However, the losses were compensated for by the chartering of
new colleges in Duluth, Minnesota (1911), and Texas (1918).
The society enjoyed a brief period of growth during the 1930s
when new colleges were chartered for New Jersey (1931), North
Carolina (1932), Virginia (1933), Illinois (1934), and Colorado
and Long Island, New York (both in 1935). The society expanded
to Canada with colleges chartered in Nova Scotia in
1936 and Ontario in 1937.
The society issues the periodical Rosicrucian Fama. The
membership in 1990 was 1400 and as of 1996 there were 32 active
colleges. Website httpwww.geocities.comAthens2092.
Sources
Societas Rosicruciana in Civitatibus Foederatis. http
www.geocities.comAthens2092. April 14, 2000.
Voohis, Harold V. B. Masonic Rosicrucian Societies. New York
Press of Henry Emerson, 1958.

SHARE
Previous articleSlate Writing
Next articleSpiritoid